The Trinity.
I have a longing to write...dang it. That darn little creativity creature is alive in me again setting a not so little bonfire in my organs until I at last let it out. If only to keep the smoke regulated. This wildfire of sorts sometimes makes me nervous because I never know where it will lead. Or worse that it will let me down...burned out...
Do you think unholy anger stunts creativity? I think it must because it veers from the love of God and they three are the most creative of us all. Take their very nature. It is one of the deepest mystery and of the greatest creativity. To have three in one. To have them all be the same being. Not two as one thinks of in romance but three all winding around, complementing and harmonizing together as if they were in fact one. Because in fact they are. When someone who has not grown up in a Christian household touches this being they are left with confusion that Christians laugh at.
The worst of Christians- if they can in fact be called that -laugh it away because they assume ignorance and a sense of savagery from said questioner. The best of Christians who I believe are deserving of that greatest and humblest of titles laugh because they understand. Because though they love this being they do not understand it and they have had to make some form of peace with that. Though not perfect peace. Even that form of shalom is not fully with us now. Though those who carry the cross of Christ are in fact in union with this mysterious being. They love and are loved by it. But they do not understand it.
How do such things work? God, I wish I knew. Though I must confess I have always liked a good mystery. Even though I make a great to do about how a man I will not follow when I am very capable of leading myself, I actually quite like being led out into mystery. I like not knowing the ending fully. I like the push and pull on the floor upon which we dance. The floor that is in fact holy ground. The floor that is every humans life. There really is a great dance. Though it is not what some where taught of when they were young. Not just hormonal teenagers trying to figure out what it is to connect to one another in a way that pleases their society and but of course, their hormones.
What is it to be in union with this creature? This creature who is also creator? Mother and Father in one? As well as sibling because well, why not add another member. For those without a human family this unity provides what they lack. And then their is another portrait of this great dance. The portrait of marriage. Gulp. Swallow. The portrait of two become one. Which echos the greater art piece that is the Trinity. Though some might beg the question of where the third being is in this picture. To that questioner I would answer, look closer. Every marriage beckons back to look closer at Christ, God the Son and his love for the church, his bride. His bride that somehow also consists of his children. And we say we have gender role confusion now.
I must confess yet another truth. I consider myself one of their number. I consider myself one of these childrenbride. Though this child marriage is not the result of a twisted humans grasp for control which is in part a follow up to those ever forceful hormones. I am in fact in part a child of the trinity. I am in part it's bride. I am in part its sister. I am in parts its fellow spirit. Though not equal, never equal. I do not consider equality with God a thing to be grasped.
Back to the question of marriage being two when if it to be a true reflection of the trinity obviously by the nature of that word it requires three. Well. It is a reflection in that a marriage between two humans hearkens back to God the son's love for the church which in turn is a connection to the trinity making the trinity a union of four. Changing the nature of numbers. I suppose that not even mathematics is concrete. Though really it is language that is contradicting itself now. Because I believe the trinity is in fact that, a threefold being. I do not believe that our union with it changes it's being. But a union, of course, implies unity. Which if so there is a fourth player...who dwells within the trinity in that it dwells in the love and protection of God. Who somehow dwells with and connected to the Creator while never changing the nature of it's creator.
Perhaps it is like this writing. This writing is separate from it's creator. I am not what I write. And yet, this writing does show a portrait of one asset of my being. And this writing flows forth from me. Could it exist separately? Yes and no. It will outlive me after I bid goodbye to time. But will it? Once I bid goodbye to time while looking back at it with that final glance maybe time itself will be different. Maybe the idea of something outliving another is irrelevant. Maybe my creation will not exist without me because if I do not, if I never did exist then well, how can it?
Back to marriage. It is a union of Christian with Trinity. So it in itself is a connection and thus a reckoning back to the trinity. It is a picture of it. There is also another way. Marriage between two humans can never and never has existed without the connection of the spirit. The connection of the spirit draws the two together. Maybe not. Maybe the initial drawing is not initiated by the spirit. But the two becoming one? The spiritual transformation? That can never happen without the intersession of the spirit of God. How could anything that consists of spiritual forces take place with out the direction of the Great Spirit? If two are married in the sight, hear those words again, the sight. In the sight of God. If two beings are connected, are unified, pledged one to another in the sight of God. Then well, they are blessed by him. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate.
That is why divorce is always the great divorce. That is why it always points back to the destruction of the world. Of union. Divorce does not have to be a signed paper. Divorce can be a constant and hardened working against the one with which you were once in union. One can cut oneself off in ways that may not be enforced by the law of man. But where the law of man falls short the law of God holds. Holds the abused one in love. In unity. And so, there again is another example of what the trinity can be for a person. It can be a marriage when ones marriage upon the old heavens and the old earth has failed.
Comments
Post a Comment