Ramblings from an 18 year old Rose...
I've been reading through Isaiah recently and it is a very uncomfortable read.
Through some parts I've felt like Jacob wrestling the Lord as I try to make fit together the God ordained devastation presented in the book and what I know of God from the love he's shown me. Anyways, something stood out to me in the study.
It said that Jesus's death was the most horrendous act in the bible. Really? But here there are babies being shattered against rocks! And women being gang raped! How could the crucifixion hold a candle to that? Then I thought about it. I've never really taken in how awful the crucifixion of Jesus was because it's usually portrayed as miraculous and wonderful alongside the terrible, after all he was dying for us. It's put up on posters and drawn in cartoons.There's a quick pause in our service to acknowledge that he suffered and then we move on to the fact that he rose again as if that cancels out his suffering. But we killed the son of God. We didn't just ignore him this time like the Israelites or disobey him for the 500 bagillionth time, no we killed him. We stole the life out of a piece of God. We separated the God of all creation from a part of himself. We sent Jesus to hell, where his father could not follow. That is the most uncomfortable truth, the most unfathomable reality, the most horrendous act in all history.
Comments
Post a Comment