One day the great authoress Jane Austen herself, came up in my highschool Spanish class. Many things unrelated to Spanish came up in that class. My teacher said something al long the lines of Austen was overrated. All of her books were the same romantic, lovey dovey, clique story. That comment made think
1. how very thankful I was that she was not my english professor and
2. Why DID I like Austen's novels so much?
WAS it her way of writing romance? Her sarcasm?
While both those reasons hold true there's another. Another reason for why I am so thankful for Jane Austen.
When I was 9 my sister sat me down and read me Pride and Prejudice. No no but really she sat me down. She forceread me Jane Austen.While I wasn't a huge fan at the time I've since read all of her novels. I've read all of them many times over except for the Lady something or other which I didn't particularly like. Why did I keep coming back? Why do I? Well at this point I've read them so many time it makes an easy listen because I can zone in and out without getting too lost. But also because of her women.
I am growing up in a culture that make me out to be some man's fantasy. I have to check myself almost daily to make sure I'm not doing what I'm doing, talking the way I'm talking, dressing the way I'm dressing to be a man's fantasy (even now). I don't even mean a sex fantasy, because well,I could never pull that off. But a I'm this bubbly, sweet, dorky, awkward but still kinda cute Jess in New Girl type of fantasy. If I smile real sweet and batt my eyelashes maybe you'll fall for me. On other days maybe I'm the, "I have stong opinions because I am a strong indepedent woman with thoughts of my own, admire me!" type of character. And I know I'm not the only woman. The only woman who makes herself out to be some sort of character instead of an actual human being with an infinite (well maybe not infinite) set of variables, with tons of conflicting personality traits and actual emotions that are subject to change. With dreams that are not dependent on what a man thinks of her. That's another character I play, usually hand in hand with the I'm a strong independept women but sometimes with the I'm quite and shy but have big dreams except I keep them to myself only I'm gonna share them with you because that's how important you are fantasy. (And yeah, it works).
Austen's women while they are actual characters don't play at characters. Or at least Austen didn't present them that way. Austen's women are very different. Some are extroverts some introverts, some reserved, some laugh out louders. One's an only child another has five sisters, some are fiesty, others are more subdued, but all of them are true to who they are. To their believes, feelings, ect. no matter what man comes across their paths. Jane doesn't act compassionate, and sweet, to win over what Bingley. Despite what her mother may want. Jane is compassionate, tender and sweet, though she's often conflicted. Bingley was attracted to features that were an innate part of who she is not traits she was trying to project. Elisabeth is a complicated character (it's like she's human or something) with all her prejeduce and headstrong ways, while she is also compassionate like Jane.
Fanny though she was the most shy is also one of the most true to her values. Even when the man she loved was not true to his. Emma is flighty but also wicked smart. She may stick to her own ways to a fault. She makes mistakes because again human=flawed. But she also owns up to them. Elenor is practical and logical but also a hopeless romantic. Marianne, well you get to see her grow up. She is an all out hopeless passionate romantic who gets hurt and then learns that she does not need to abandon her ways she just needs to learn how to have a healthy balance.
Catherine is the youngest, a daydreamer who does not live altogether in reality and learns both the dangers and joys that come with that lifestyle. A
Anne is my favorite. Anne is the oldest. She's older but still holds on to hope and graciousness and has allowed others to make her decisions for her but now she is stronger. I love Anne.
So dear Spanish teacher of mine. Just because a book is written by a female working within the contrictions of her time do not count her feminine nature off as, "lovey dovey and trivial." Remember dear soul, "The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid."
Oh Jane Austen said that, in case it wasn't obvious.
Comments
Post a Comment