I Wish You Knew Me When I Was 7

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Trained to swordfight so I could beat the boys club
I was sworn in 
Then decided I didn't want it
Just wanted the point proven
Check, done

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Walked up to my crush told him point blank I was in love with him
Got rejected
Called a pig, that stung
Got mad at him
Not myself for not being enough
Cause I knew it was so not my problem

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Flew on an airplane all on my lonesome
Saddened to the point
0 cranberry juice had
But still
I did it
Read Ella Enchanted
And flew

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Busted my teeth in
Unconcerned by the pain
Requested a mirror 
Wasn't allowed to see 'em
Man that made me pissed
Question
Could I still attend the circus? 
Would I be able to see the clowns?

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Wrote a play called Girl Cries Wolf
Also stared as "Girl"
Kinda a brat
But hey Lin did that

I wish you knew me when I was 7 
Kept myself motivated
Turned my phonics 
My chores
Into a game
Integrated them into my hidden world
Got things done

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Blew spit bubbles 
Brothers didn't get it
Told me I was gross
Well yeah, wasn't that the point? 
First encounter with
Double standards

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Ran threw poison ivy and thorns because 
a guy told me I wouldn't dare come after him
I dared
Got 'em
Put that older boy in jail
The blood and itches? 
So entirely worth this

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Created my own country
My own form of government
Though Betts deserves some of the credit 
Chose the colors for my flag
With more precision than any of it really 
Hey
That flag is important 
Symbolism
And all 

I wish you knew me when I was 7 
Was fairly convinced that weird 
Equaled good
Still not entirely convinced 
Of any misconception 

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Went to market
For my history lesson 
With greeting cards about
How
"All roads lead to Rome"
hold for elevated tension
"...except deadends." 
Spoke some disturbing quips against 
Romans and their form of
Slavery 
Little did I know  

I wish you knew me when I was 7 
Turned boys down
When I didn't want to dance 
Admittedly, 
Fear was a factor
Also the attention
But still 
Could and would say no 
To their pretend crying faces 

I wish you knew me when I was 7 
Read vivaciously
Stole time 
Hidden in the bathroom
Bedroom
Sister's room
Brother's room
Parent's room 
Anywhere there was room
(still making that room)

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Ramana Quimby was my muse
Clanking along to a rapidly multiplying number of rum bottles 
On the wall 
Ella took a piece of me 
However
Anne with her "e" was far too dramatic
Ha. 
Jane and Lizzy
Constantly 
Inspiring me
Melding moxie and compassion 
Showing me they could be one 
Calvin and his Tiger
Or is it Hobbes and his Boy
Humoring me 
Eloise shoving me onward 
It was her after all 

I wish you knew me when I was 7 
Tramped through what could be quicksand
You just never know
Questing for apples
Holding my brother's hand
Him and I fearless
Through whatever life cast at us 

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Discovered a roach in the woman's bathroom
Plucked it out 
To the soundtrack of girls screeching 
Hid it in the pages of my prier friend/now sister's 
Bible
So maybe
Just maybe
I'm glad you didn't know me 

I wish you knew me when I was 7 
Built fortresses out of pines
Complete with towering barricades 
Made butter from buttercups
Felled trees with the force of a simple swing
Norabee kept near me 
Faithful friend
That she is 
Coronated I became
The queen of the black ants 
Fought the red ones with a vengeance 
Included turtles chickens ants fireflies caterpillars guinea-pigs spiders toads 
All that crept or crawled 
Into my shared kingdom
And what a kingdom 

I wish you knew me when I was 7
So much to prove 
And yet nothing at all
Mixed up
In such a small body
A tiny force of nature
That probably could've used 
Some taming 
But still, she was good 

I wish you knew me when I was 7
Before I let the lies in 
Though really,
That girl 
She's me 
Different changed grown
Still me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I AM RACIST AND SO, WHITE PERSON, ARE YOU